Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Baby-Steps to Improvisation

The interest in jazz has grown a great deal since I started teaching at La Vista Junior High School.  Though I am not a jazz guru, I love jazz.  I love to listen, play and continue learning about this wonderful genre.  One of the biggest obstacles for most students (middle or high school) is getting over the fear of improvisation.  Especially in front of their peers.  I have had students cut loose in a private lesson, but freeze up in front of their band mates. 

I found a wonderful article on easing into the improv. world, "How to Make Your Musical Improvisation More Interesting".  I am going to implement some of these techniques with my jazz lab band later this week.  I will do a follow-up very soon after the rehearsal to let you know the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment