Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Social Media: Where are we going?

I have become addicted to TED Talks.  We viewed another tonight in my grad class on the impact social media can have and how much and how quickly this all changed.  Clay Shirky-How social media made history is one of the many wonderful in the TED series.  He gave a brief history of the history of social media and how and who it affected and compared it to today's social media.  And like many of the articles and videos on the topic of social media and the globalization of communication, it is both inspiring and overwhelming at the same time. 

One of the questions brought up in class relating to the video and subject was if, or how today's generation will handle social media?  Being old enough to see the changes, I find myself working very hard to keep up, though unlike some colleagues and friends, I enjoy the revolution and the change and challenge.  But today's students (my own children included) are growing up with all of this and don't know any other way.

With all of this, I truly believe there is a responsibility that comes with social media and how one uses these resources.  I feel as an educator and parent, it is my responsibility to do the best I can in guiding my children and students to make responsible decisions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment