Monday, July 4, 2011

A New Year Begins...

I know most refer to January 1 as the beginning of a new year, but after teaching for so long, my new year begins after the last contract day.  For me, that is the end of June.  So this is my time to reflect on the past year.  Not only as an educator, but in my personal life.  After this long, so much of the professional life and personal life are intertwined. 

There were some very cool things that happened along the way this past year.  Last June I was selected to be on a new committee for the Music Educators National Conference.  The group is called In-Ovations and its focus is on alternative and additional music curriculum offerings to middle and high school students.  I will blog in more detail on this topic at a later date.

In August I was inducted into the Nebraska Music Hall of Fame (I know, I didn't know there was one either until I received the call and letter).   A few weeks after this happened I had the good fortune of working with Rosanne Cash for a couple of days.  This was an incredible learning experience.

Probably the most significant event for me was getting my masters.  The coolest part of this experience was the ceremony fell on the same day as my oldest son's high school graduation.  My  ceremony was held 50 miles away, and it was running behind, so when I was handed my diploma I kept walking right out of the building with some poor college kid running after me saying I missed my turn back to my seat.  I'm not sure how long she followed me,  but I didn't see her at my son's graduation.

In April I had my first article published in our state journal on the School of Rock.  You can find that article and link in an earlier blog.  In that same vain, I ran a pilot program this past year on the history of rock.  It became so popular I have been asked to write a 9 week course for 8th graders to begin next school year.  I have also been told that the classes are already full.  So much of July will be devoted to putting that program together.

This will also be the first summer break in many years that I will not be taking classes.  My one indulgence will be to take private lessons on guitar.  Even though it's my main instrument, I have never taken lessons.   I have also filled the summer with many gigs (you know, because teaching pays so well).  For down time, I plan on hiding out in my garden and doing some serious "porch/deck-time" with my family. 

I will also spend my time away from school going through my teaching journal and look back on what worked well and what I need to work on to keep my program moving in the right direction.   I highly recommend if you are an educator, to keep a weekly/monthly journal throughout your school year.  It really has a motivating affect on attitude for the upcoming school year.  For me it really helps keep things fresh and helps to drive my quest for learning!

Please have a safe and wonderful Fourth of July.  Send good thoughts and prayers for those who are without homes and were forced to re-build and/or relocate after all of the crazy weather this season.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you still posting, Mark. What a fantastic year and glad you have this spot to share all the great things with us. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete