Monday, March 11, 2013

Does Appearance Matter?


A question was asked of me the other day.  It came from one of my eighth grade students.  Now, she was not being mean or facetious, but just matter of fact.  She asked, "Mr. Irvin, why do you always wear a suit and tie, you're just a teacher?" This really got to me.  I couldn't figure out why at first, but I kept hearing that question in my head over and over again. 

Now, before I go on,  let me preface by saying that I am probably going to upset some of my friends and colleague. But, so be it.  What dawned on me was that this is how the students see most teachers (especially male teachers).  Most wear some kind of "Khaki" style pants with a "Polo" style shirt.  Let me also state that I do not always wear suit and tie.  In fact it is usually a sport coat and nice button-down shirt.  I wear a tie about 3/4 of the time.  and don't get me wrong, I love casual Fridays.  But even then, it's usually coat, button-down shirt and comfortable shoes with my jeans.

I really noticed the difference at a recent parent/teacher conference evening when most of the teachers were dressed up.  But most changed between the end of the school day and the start of the conferences.  I mentioned to one educator how nice she looked.  She thanked me and then stated that she wanted to look professional for the parents.

That was when my students question and comment came full circle.  Why not look professional for your students and fellow educators?  What is ironic to me is that I hear and read from many of these same educators on how they are tired of their profession not being given the proper respect that it deserves.  Well...dressing professionally, albeit a small step, is still a step in that direction!

And, I will go one step further.  I truly believe people, for the most part, act differently when dressed in a professional manner.  I know I do. And I also know students act different when they are dressed up.  We still have a few coaches that make their athletes dress up on "game-day".  I see a HUGE difference in the students behavior both in and out of the classroom when they are dressed up for those days.

And yes, there is some additional prep time in the mornings or the night before work, as well as a little monetary investment to be made.  But it is not out of the realm of what we can afford (time or money) and believe me, I am not wearing designer clothing.  I am always on the hunt for a good sale.

While we are on the topic of respect, let me throw one more pet-peeve of mine in for thought.  I am constantly correcting students when they address their teachers by using just the teachers last name.  Not using Miss, Mrs. Ms. or Mr. to preface the last name.  So many teachers are comfortable with this, and I can't figure out why.  In fact, I knew one educator that insisted that her students call her by her first name.  I about fell over when I heard that.  I asked her why she did this and she said she feels it strengthens the bond between her and her students.   REALLY???  At first I thought it was a generational thing.  But the more I think about it I don't see it that way.  Heck, I was a child and teenager in the '60's and '70's.  I don't know of a more radical era.

If we TRULY want the respect of our students and parents, there are so many of these little things we can be doing as a profession.  I wish schools districts all over would adopt more strict dress and conduct codes for everyone.  Both students and teachers. And this is coming from a teacher, not an administrator.  But, that's a whole different topic and battle.  But for now, why don't we as college educated professionals start looking and sounding the part!

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Irvin!
    I am such a creep, but I saw this post via Facebook & was intrigued as I read. I 100% agree with you. Even from my generation to the generation of kids in school now, respect seems to be something that is not valued or practiced toward adults. Heck, when I was in grade school, we feared even the high schoolers. Now, it just seems like a free for all. I actually heard an ad on the radio the other day about parents standing up to their kids bullying them. I thought, "Are you serious?" I mean, I understand there are some unique situations, but for goodness' sake, take control of your house, and take control of your classroom. You have to teach people how to treat you, and create boundaries. Kids already have their friends; what they need and look for in adults is leadership & guidance. I'm doing ministry out here on the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation, and these kids have grown up with little to no boundaries, but when they come to my place, they understand that there are rules and expectations, and do a great job abiding by these. I applaud you for having a little gumption & posting something that might stir the pot. Pot stirrers, unite! ;)

    ReplyDelete